Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Phenomenal Woman

A song that comes up during the play and its film adaptation is "Noways Tired" by James Cleveland, a gospel singer who was popular during the 1950's. When I first read over the reference to the song, I instantly made a connection with gospel and how important it is. I've listened to gospel for a while, and though I am not Christian, there is more to the genre than religion. It is about motivation and keeping hope in times of negativity.
I see why this song is so relevant to A Raisin in the Sun. Even in the first lines of the song, the inspirational message is observable. "I don't feel no ways tired, because I've come too far from where I started from," Cleveland sings. This relates to Mama's story. She was a poor girl living in the South when she and so many other black people moved to the North, which was foreign to them. Facing harsh discrimination in the South, she left her home to pursue a better life. Mama had little money and family in Chicago, but she decided to move anyway. Mama says to Walter, "In my time we was worried about not being lynched and getting to the North if we could and how to stay alive and still have a pinch of dignity too...Now here come you and Beneatha – talking ‘bout things we ain’t never even thought about hardly, me and your daddy" (Hansberry 102). Mama does not lose hope for a better life; she wants to keep progressing and growing. Even when old and retired, Mama wants to make a better life for her family. Though she faced such oppression, she is not discouraged. She is the most admirable character in the play, in my opinion.


No comments:

Post a Comment